Cristuru-Secuiesc is the most significant economical-organizational and educational center of the Cristuru-Secuiesc basin.
Its role as a town had a very peculiar development.
Only later did it develop from district residence, region center and large commune into a market-town and then town.
In 1956 it received the rank of town again.
Today it is one of the small towns of Harghita county with 10, 596 inhabitants (1992) - together with Filias - (out of which 262 Romanians, 10059 Magyars, (94, 93%) 264 Gypsies, 7 Germans, 4 other nationalities.).
This number increased to 11185 by 1st January 1996.
The border of the town stretches in northwest-southeast direction along 15 km, the town borders 10 villages.
The bronze statue of Petőfi Sándor
Opposite to the cinema on a small square, statue made by András Márkos sculptor (1971).
The bronze statue of Nicolae Balcescu
Also in the downtown, one of the beautiest statues of the great romanian revolitionary, is made by Mircea Spătaru in the year of 1971.
Roman Catholic parish church
One of the historic monuments of Harghita county, the oldest historic building of the whole region of Cristur.
Situated in Libertatii square no. 9., the church was built in late Gothic style, probably before the 15th century.
11-12th century graves were found as well as the remains of two older churches.
The Molnár István Museum and open-air ethnographic section
Historic monument, one of the most significant country museums of the region and the whole county.
It has valuable ethnographic - folk-art and natural history permanent exhibition and a significant archeological-historical collection of totally 40,000 objects.
Historic monument of Harghita county.
Situated in the Pet?fi Sándor street no. 34., the classicist buildings built in the place of a late mediaeval mansion.
Today it houses a sanatorium (preventorium).
The church, together with the tower was built between 1781-92.
Its style combines Baroque and Classicist elements.
Orbán Balázs Secondary School
The Orbán Balázs Unitarian Secondary School is situated in Orbán Balázs street no. 1. The school was founded in 1793 but the building itself was only built in 1913-14, in the place of the former Tisza-mansion, where 13-17th century objects were found.
The school itself was the preschool of the Unitarian Principal School of Cluj-Napoca.
At its entrance the statues of Balázs Orbán and Mózes Berde can be seen.
The old building of the Unitarian School
The old building, situated in Orbán Balázs street no. 10, built in late Baroque style on the turning of the 17-18th centuries stands next to the Unitarian church.
It is registered among the historic monuments of Harghita county.